Did you know that nearly 80 percent of cardiac events can be prevented with an active lifestyle and a balanced diet? However, despite this fact, cardiovascular diseases continue to be the greatest threat to a woman’s health. In an effort to raise awareness and promote healthier lifestyles, the American Heart Association reminds us to “Go Red for Women” and join their national movement to end heart disease and stroke in women.
Knowing the symptoms of heart disease could save your life. If you experience signs of a heart attack or stroke, call 9-1-1 and immediately go to the hospital.
Symptoms of a Heart Attack:
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest that lasts more than a few minutes or disappears and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
Symptoms of Stroke:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
- Sudden trouble seeing or blurred vision in one or both eyes.
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Sudden severe headache.
A healthy diet and regular physical activity can help you reduce your risk of heart disease. Some tips to get you started, include:
- At least 150 minutes per week of moderate aerobic activity
- Strength training or resistance training at least 2 days per week.
- Spend less time sitting. Go for walks throughout the day.
- Eat a variety of fresh, frozen and canned vegetables and fruits.
- Choose fiber-rich whole grains.
- Include poultry and fish without skin in your diet
- Select fat-free and low-fat (1%) dairy products.
- Cut back on beverages and foods with added sugars.
Join the national movement to help raise awareness and end heart disease and stroke in women. Interested in learning what else you can do to make a positive impact in your community? Learn more here: https://www.goredforwomen.org/en
Regulatory Compliance Solutions for Healthcare Organizations
Our comprehensive compliance suite includes:
Learn more. Visit mcnhealthcare.com